410 W 1st St
Ankeny, IA 50023
Phone: (515) 965-6400
Fax: (515) 965-6416
James H. Spradling is Ankeny's City Manager. He was appointed by the City Council in July, 2012. He has a B.A. in Political Science, and a M.A. in Public Administration from the University of Iowa, Iowa City, Iowa. James Spradling can be contacted via e-mail at: Jim Spradling or by phone at (515) 965-6411.
The City Manager ensures that the policy direction set by the City Council is implemented and that the City's delivery of public services is provided in an efficient and cost-effective manner. The Manager is hired by and accountable to the City Council to oversee the day-to-day operations of the city. Among the manager's duties:
- Carrying out council policies and goals
- The delivery of city services effectively and efficiently
- Preparing and monitoring the annual budget
- Directing day-to-day operations of the city
- Attending City Council meetings
- Recommending policies/programs to the City Council
- Hiring and firing personnel
- Keeping the City Council fully advised of the financial and other conditions of the city
- Supplying the City Council with information to aid decision making
- Serving as the city representative in various arenas
The city manager is assisted by Assistant City Managers Paul Moritz and John Peterson.
||Paul Moritz, is responsible for management oversight of municipal utilities, planning & building, parks and recreation and public works. He holds a B.S. in Civil Engineering from Iowa State University and an A.A.S. in Civil Engineering from Hawkeye Institute of Technology. Paul Moritz can be contacted via email at: email@example.com or by phone at (515) 963.3522.
John Peterson, P.E., A.I.C.P., is responsible for special projects and community development activities including implementation of the Council’s Comprehensive Plan; oversight of the development of Prairie Trail; implementation of the NE 36th Street Development Plan; neighborhood revitalization in selected Ankeny commercial areas including Uptown, Ankeny Boulevard, Ordnance Road and W. 1st and State Streets; Urban Renewal and Tax Increment Financing activities and Regional Planning activities.
He has a B.S. in Engineering Operations from Iowa State University and 34 years of experience with the City of Ankeny. John Peterson can be contacted via email at jpeterson or by phone at (515) 965-6425.