The Ankeny fire department was founded in 1910 and provides fire suppression, emergency medical services, rescue, fire prevention/public education and other related services to the residents, property owners and visitors to Ankeny. Department staff includes approximately 65 men and women who serve in full-time and paid-per-call capacities and administrative staff.
The Department consists of three Divisions: Fire Suppression Division, Emergency Medical Services Division and the Fire Prevention Bureau.
The department provides services out of two facilities 24 hours per day/7 days per week utilizing a combination of full-time and paid on call staff.
The fire station headquarters, located at 120 NW Ash Drive, opened in April 2009; the result of a 2006 public referendum to add on to the existing fire headquarters, construct a second fire station and new police headquarters.
The facility was designed by SVPA Architects and includes an emergency operation center (EOC), sleeping quarters for the 24/7 duty crew, modern technology features, administrative offices and a fire museum.
Fire Station No. 2 , located at 665 SE Oralabor Road, opened in November, 2009 and was designed by SVPA Architects. The 3.8 million, 12,500 square-foot building includes sleeping quarters, kitchen, office area and a three-bay garage.