- Our City
- Books & Borrowing
- Get a Library Card
Get a Library Card
Any resident of Ankeny, Unincorporated Polk County, or a community participating in Iowa's Open Access Program may obtain an Ankeny Kirkendall Public Library card free of charge. Some library services may be dependent on your residency status.
Apply online or in person. To get your card, you will need to provide the following information at the library:
- 0-11 years old: Parent or guardian must be present and sign the application.
- 12-17 years old: Teen must provide photo ID, such as a driver's license or school ID, and list a parent's or guardian's name. Parent or guardian can also fill out the form in lieu of the teen.
- 18+ years old: Must provide photo ID with current address, such as an updated driver's license, or photo ID and proof of current address, such as a piece of mail, online lease agreement, etc.
Basic cards are issued for 3 years; there is no fee for renewal. You may check out up to 100 items per card.
Temporary cards are available for those who do not have photo ID and/or proof of current address available during registration. These cards are valid for 3 months and may be used to borrow 3 items at a time, excluding equipment and Wifi hotspots. Once photo ID or current address is provided, your account will be changed to a Basic card.
If you lose your card and would like a replacement, there is a $1 replacement fee. Report lost cards immediately. Patrons are responsible for all items checked out on their account.
- What are my username and PIN number?
Your username is the number on the back of your library card beginning with 2306. By default, the PIN is the last 4 digits of the phone number on the account. Library staff cannot see what the PIN is, so if you forget it, call 515-965-6460 opt. 3 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to have it reset.
- Can someone else use my card?
If you would like to let someone else such as a spouse, child, or friend use your card to pick up your holds, check out items, view fines, etc. they will either need to have your library card or have permission from you. To grant someone permission, call 515-965-6460 opt. 3 or email email@example.com with the name(s) of those you would like to add to your account. Permission is always assumed when the physical card is present, so report a lost card to library staff immediately.
- How do I access my online account?
Login to our catalog to see when your items are due, renew items, and place holds. You will need your library card number and your PIN, which are set up when you register.
- How do I change my PIN or update my contact information?
Log on to your account and choose either Contact Information and Notification Preferences or Change Your Username & Password.
- How can I renew my account?
Accounts must be renewed every three (3) years to make sure your information is current. You do not need to get a new card to renew your account. Call 515-965-6460 opt. 3 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to renew.