The Ankeny Police Department Traffic Unit would like to remind drivers about child passenger safety this week.
Make sure your car seat is installed properly.
Car seats and boosters provide protection for infants and children in a crash, yet car crashes are a leading cause of death for children ages 1 to 13.
Almost 46% of car seats are not correctly installed or the child is not properly placed in the car seat.
Please visit these sites to get information about car seats:
Don't leave children or pets inside vehicles.
- As temperatures begin to rise, please remember not to leave children or pets inside vehicles.
- In just 10 minutes, a car can heat up by 20 degrees and become deadly.
- A child's body temperature rises three to five times faster than an adult's. When a child is left in a vehicle, the situation can quickly become dangerous.
- In 2022, 33 children died of heatstroke in vehicles.
- (Beat the heat, check the backseat) see these sites for more information:
Learn more about the Ankeny Police Department Traffic Unit, request enforcement in a particular area or submit a traffic violation complaint via our online form now: