Get involved! The City of Ankeny offers multiple volunteer opportunities to get involved in the community.
Boards & Commissions
Serve on a City of Ankeny Board or Commission
Become an Angel in the Outfield, Miracle League Volunteers Needed
- Angels/volunteers are partnered with players to assist them in the games.
- Angels must be at least 14 years old.
- School sports teams, cheer/dance squads, youth groups and company/organization groups are encouraged to volunteer as a team.
Learn more about the Ankeny Kiwanis Miracle League. Questions? Contact Colby Vlieger at 515-963-3572 or email Colby Vlieger.
Volunteer at the Library
- Volunteers must be at least 12 years of age or in 6th grade or above.
- Opportunities range from assisting at events to re-shelving books.
- Each volunteer meets with the Volunteer Coordinator to develop an individualized schedule.
- Due to limited supervision, court-ordered hours are not accepted.
If you are interested in volunteering, download a copy of the Library Volunteer Form (PDF) and return it to Ankeny Kirkendall Public Library or email it to Beth Schaefer.
Help Make Ankeny beautiful! Every year, volunteers are needed to help maintain flower gardens at many of the city's parks and public buildings. This is a great volunteer opportunity to help beautify our community with minimal time commitment.
- Volunteers will select and plant the flowers that will go in their assigned bed, water and keep it weed free.
- Ankeny Parks and Recreation will prepare the flowerbeds and provide plant and bed materials.
- Volunteers will receive recognition with their name on a small sign in their flowerbed.
If you are interested in volunteering or would like more information about the Adopt A Flowerbed program, please email Ankeny Nature or call 515-963-3579.
Annual Earth Day Stream & Watershed Cleanup
Public Works Stormwater Division brings the community together for a Stream and Watershed Cleanup each year on Earth Day. View the city calendar or contact Becky Ford at 515-963-3542 or email Becky Ford for more information, to volunteer or to host your own cleanup throughout the year.
Ankeny Water Quality Improvement & Stormwater Education Group (WISE)
The Ankeny Water Quality Improvement and Stormwater Education Group (WISE) is looking for volunteer members. The Ankeny WISE group:
- Evaluates best management practices for safe and efficient control of stormwater.
- Increases public awareness of these practices and encourage both personal and community actions that will best protect our health, property and natural environment.
Contact Becky Ford at 515-963-3542 or email Becky Ford for more information or to volunteer.
Coaching a youth sport is a great way to spend quality time with your child and give back to the community. No coaching experience is necessary. We will give you all of the tools to be a successful coach!
If you have interest in coaching any of the following activities, please contact us today at 515-963-3570. Learn more about the process of becoming a coach, background check required.
- Youth Soccer
1st through 7th grade, September to October
- Youth Volleyball
4th through 7th grade, September to October
- Youth Basketball
- 2nd through 7th grade, November to February
Benefits of Coaching
- If your child is participating in the program you are coaching, you can choose the night they would like to practice!
- Volunteer coaches (excluding tot sports and girls softball) also receive a 50%-off registration credit that can be used toward any future Parks and Recreation program!
The City of Ankeny hosts several special events throughout the year. If you're interested in volunteering, email Ryan Harkema or contact Ryan at 515-963-3571.
- Live Healthy Iowa Kids Track and Field Meet: May
This track and field meet is open to kids 7 to 14 years old. Help is needed timing races, recording heat times and helping with various field events.
- All City Play Day: Wednesday in July
All City Play Day offers dozens of free events for Ankeny citizens each summer at Hawkeye Park. Events include canoeing, giant bubbles, basketball, big wheel races, rock climbing wall, and tons more. Help is needed with various activity stations throughout the event.
- Ankeny Youth Triathlon: Saturday in July
Participants swim, bike and run in the Annual Ankeny Youth Triathlon. Swimming laps in the Prairie Ridge Aquatic Center, biking around the Sports Complex and running through the finish line at the Prairie Ridge Middle School Track. Help is needed along the route, at the recovery tent and other areas throughout the race.
- Mayor's Tree Lighting and Fireworks: Late November/early December