House Movers

A Big Job Needs A Big Permit

Any person who undertakes to move a building or similar structure upon, over, or across public streets or property when the building or structure is of such sizes that it requires the use of skids, jacks, dollies or any other specialized movie equipment is required to apply for a house movers permit.

For more information related to the House Mover Permit, please consult Chapter 133 of the City's Municipal Code.

Download the Application

To apply for a house-mover's permit, submit a description of the present location and the future site of the building or structure to be moved. The routing plan must be approved by the Ankeny Chief of Police, and all other municipal code requirements must be met.

The fee for a home mover permit is $25 per day.

Download a copy of the House Movers Application (PDF)

When finished, please return the completed application by mail or in-person to:

City of Ankeny
City Clerk's Office - City Hall
410 W 1st Street
Ankeny, IA 50023 

8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Monday - Friday


Please contact the City Clerk's Office at 515-965-6400.